Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Maniac Mommy

Hey beautiful people reading my blog,

Happy Tuesday!  So I was sitting here kind of drawing a blank on what to do my blog post about this
week and just when I was about to shut the laptop down, it came to me!  Children's books!  Totally confused?  I hear ya.  Okay, so I have been to a few baby showers the past few years and there has been a trend I have noticed, that I absolutely love!  In lieu of bringing a card with your gift, you bring your favorite childhood book to give to the Mommy and Baby!  How stinking cute is this?  I mean, let's be real---cards (next to tissue paper) are one of the most annoying things to purchase...a) because it costs $3.49 at the cheapest and b) you know it's going in the trash, no matter how much shine or sparkle it has, or beautiful poetry you write inside it.  Cynical? Perhaps.  Moving on.

So this whole book idea is just great because not only is it something meaningful for the guest to offer to that child/parent, but it also helps build that child's library.  I think it's genius!  So, while picking out favorite childhood books for some friends showers I have started to notice a small theme amongst some of them...Mom's are crazy.  Don't believe me--take a look at a few of these childhood favorites and then read some of the passages from the story...then let's talk about it.

The Runaway Bunny








This story is about a little bunny who tells his Mother that he wants to run away.  So his mother responds to him that if he runs away, she will run after him.  He rebuttals, as any child would, that if she runs after him he will be come a fish in the trout stream.  She wittingly replies that she will become a fisherman and will fish for him. He chimes in that he will become sailboat and sail away from her.  Turning up the crazy dial, she tells him that she will become the wind and blow him where she wants him to go. This story goes on and on about him trying to be more clever than this crazy ass mother, but finally the little bunny says, "Shucks, I might as well stay where I am and be your little bunny."  Mother replies, "Have a carrot."

 No chance for that kid in the future...little bunny, looks like you are taking Mommy to the prom!

Love you Forever



Pretty sure we have all read this one...so let's just get right to it, shall we?  From the book "The little boy grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was nine years old. And he never wanted to come in for dinner, he never wanted to take a bath, and when grandma visited he always said bad words. Sometimes his mother wanted to sell him to the zoo! But at night time, when he was asleep, the mother quietly opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor and looked up over the side of the bed. If he was really asleep, she picked up that nine-year-old boy and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth."  Fast forward to when the boy is a grown man living in his own home... "If all the lights in her son's house were out, she opened his bedroom window, crawled across the floor, and looked up over the side of his bed. If that great big man was really asleep she picked him up and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth."

Okay pretty sure it is illegal to scale the walls of someones home, break into the house through the window, and crawl over to one's bed where they are in slumber.   This family needs to get ADT installed asap! 

So in closing, Gia---you are totally screwed and you better NEVER leave me. 
Your loving Mother. 

Feel free to add other books that match this theme!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. The "Love You Forever" book has been my favorite book at of many for the entire three years I've been a mother. But I still cannot read it without bawling.

    And Landon always looks at me like I'm crazy. So it just sets on the bookshelf. He doesn't really like that story anyway. And I'm pretty sure he would KILL me if I ever got a ladder and snuck into his home and tried to pull him out of bed. Wouldn't his wife ask some serious questions? Anyhoo, I still love it.

    Check out "God Gave Us You." Can't make it through that one without crying either!

    ReplyDelete